Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Blissful Summer!?

So, yesterday the kids and I went to the grocery store. I was quickly reminded of why I try not to take both kids to the store by myself. First, Emma always pitches a fit if I don't get a cart with a car on the front for her to ride in. As they were getting in, I told them that if they didn't behave they would have to ride in the seat of the cart instead of the car. Of course, all through the store I continually have to tell them to sit down, stay inside, stop fighting, etc. Did I put them in the seats? Of course not - I didn't really want to listen to the crying. At the checkout, I made the comment that this is why moms don't like summer. The lady behind me chuckled a little and then reminded me that they grow up too fast so enjoy them being little while you can. I know she's right, but sometimes it's hard to think that far ahead.

Later, I took Daniel to the pool for his weekly therapy session and all was going well until . . . the Boys/Girls Club group walked into the pool area with about 40 kids. The noise and number of occupants in the room more than tripled in a matter of 2 minutes. Daniel doesn't like loud noises so he immediately shut down (covered his ears, clung to the therapist, and kept looking around for me). After a couple of minutes, the therapist was able to calm him down enough to be able to finish their session.

When we got home I thought the kids would take a great afternoon nap because neither had had one yet and they were both so tired. I let them play for a few minutes and listened as they went upstairs and into Daniel's room to play. It got so quiet that I thought they had fallen asleep. So, I went upstairs to check on them. Instead of finding a Kodak moment, I found the Crayola kids. Somehow they had gotten into some markers that were on top of the chest of drawers and had proceeded to write on whatever they could find - the walls, door, floor, sheets, their clothes and their bodies! Fortunately they are washable markers so I was able to get most of it off of the walls, door and floor. However, washable doesn't mean that it washes off of them. Today (after two baths) they still have some marks to show for their work.

It's going to be a long, hot summer!!

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh Mary Kay!!! I feel for you!!!! I probably would have run away had I walked in on my kids doing that! I hope the rest of your week improves.

Mother of the Year said...

What can you do at that point other than laugh hysterically to cover up the fact that thoughts close to child abuse just ran through your mind?

Meredith said...

Mary Kay,
I hope your week gets better. Definitely enjoy them when they are young and when they are home. Remember that teachers live for summers :) (hee hee hee). Seriously, I hope that things get better!
Meredith

amy said...

girl, i know what you mean. i don't take both boys to the grocery by myself. i can't concentrate & end up doubling back for things that i forgot on previous aisles. i might have ended it all if i walked into the crayola wonderland. i'm sure my day is coming, i just pray i don't kill the boys when it does!

Jennifer said...

I feel you too!! My kids have done some crazy things in the past and will continue I am sure. My favorite (now not then) is after I had first brought Josh home from the hospital and fell asleep while he was nursing. Abbey who was't 2 yet decided to paint the walls and carpet and furniture with an entire tub of Country Crock. That stuff does not come out of anything!!! It's hilarious to me now though!